At the Handy Haulers Moving Company, we understand how some individuals don’t have the budget to pay for all the services that a full-service moving company provides. So, we are always trying to help them get the best value for the money and save a few dollars in the process. Packing up your household when preparing to move requires a lot of boxes. So, one of the ways that we help is by answering the question “Where can I find FREE moving boxes in Portland?”
How do you determine how many boxes are needed?
When it comes to moving, the reality is that no two homes are alike. Therefore, most relocations are unique to each individual household. Because of this, it’s almost impossible to determine the exact number of moving boxes needed when you begin packing up your home for the move. However, there are certain factors that will help you determine approximately how many boxes you’re going to need including:
- amount of decluttering needed
- number of people living in the home
- number of rooms in the home
- number of years you’ve lived in the home
- square footage of the home
- type of household lifestyle
In case you’re interested, there are several apps available for android phones and iPhones at their respective app stores that will help you when inventorying your home and keep you organized throughout the process. Additionally, we can be of assistance in any service that you need specifically. All that you need to do is call us and discuss your moving needs. We’ll plan accordingly.
What size moving boxes should you obtain?
It’s always helpful to know what size boxes to look for when gathering up free ones for your packing needs. Cardboard moving boxes are available to buy in 4 standard sizes (approximate L x W x D). However, since you’re going after free moving boxes, use the following sizes as a reference:
- Small – 16’ x12” x 12”
- Medium – 18” x 16” x 16”
- Large – 22” x 18” x 18”
- Extra-large – 24” x 20” x 20”
Now that you know the approximate sizes to search for, the Handy Haulers Moving Company will provide additional information that will help you determine the number of each size and where to look for them.
How many moving boxes are needed based on your lifestyle?
Just to clear things up, when talking about lifestyle, we’re not talking about hoarding as in a broom closet full of empty plastic shopping bags hoarding or a minimalist mattress-on=the-floor type of lifestyle. However, everybody has a limit for the amount of stuff they can tolerate in their living space. At the Handy Haulers Moving Company, we classify people’s lifestyles into 3 different categories as follows:
- Minimalist – you like to keep things as simple and uncluttered as possible. So having more open space within the home is a must. You’ll need the fewest number of boxes, most of which will be medium-sized.
- Packrat – you’re more inclined to keep things of sentimental value such as birthday and Christmas cards or notebooks. You probably have knick knacks on numerous shelves and the walls covered with pictures. You’ll need more boxes than the previous or next lifestyle category, especially in the small and large size types.
- Somewhere in between – this category of lifestyle falls in between the minimalist and the packrat. Between these 3 categories, you’ll be the one that lists an exact inventory of your belongings and tries to determine the exact number of boxes needed. Make it easy on yourself by trying to find an equal number of each size.
Granted, there are no hard and fast rules as to the exact number of boxes needed when moving. Just keep in mind that it’s always better to have too many boxes and not need them than to not have enough and have to go looking for more.
Where can I find FREE moving boxes in Portland?
When you start to add up the costs of moving boxes, this one aspect contributes quite a bit to your total packing expense. Other than a complete DIY move, this is one of the ways that you can save some money when relocating. Here are several places where you can find FREE moving boxes:
- Craigslist (believe it or not, you can find almost anything here)
- Family members and friends
- Local businesses such as bookstores, convenience stores, grocery stores, liquor stores, and large retailers
- Private and public schools
To learn more about the other moving services we provide, call the Handy Haulers Moving Company at (833) 256-7182. Call us today to know more about how we can assist you in making a seamless move.